Recently I was thrilled to find my Japanese Plum tree had produced a bountiful harvest. There is nothing quite like harvesting good organic food that I know is going to taste wonderful, be at its prime in nutrients and flavor, have no pesticides or harmful chemicals, and that has come from a tree that my family and I have planted ourselves. To make it even better, my son and I had a fantastic time gathering all the plums that had ripened; and, we even got a bit of a workout jumping and grabbing at the highest branches. It is a bit of an art form to do this successfully and not get pummeled on the head with falling fruit. 🙂 I loved watching a love for growing things spark in his eyes. However, as happy as I was, I also felt a bit of panic when I came in and really saw the harvest.
What in the world was I going to do with all this fruit? And more on the tree is ripening as I type! Well, I ran through some old and new recipes and this Plum Crisp Delight was my first choice. It is very simple and quick to make; and, the result is out of this world! It is so delicious that I couldn’t even get the “pretty picture” I had planned. I had wanted one showcasing the beautiful purple foundation that reveals itself after removing the first slice. SO pretty!!! But, when I came down this morning, less than 8 hours from the time it was taken from the oven, I found half eaten!!! My son (aka the Gremlin) had been unable to resist the temptation to dig in before I woke up. At least I don’t have to doubt if it is enjoyed by my family! 🙂
So, for a wonderful summer farm to table dessert the recipe, (from Allrecipes.com Donna), it is as follows:
12 plums, pitted and chopped
1 cup white sugar, divided
1 cup sifted, all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup melted butter– the higher the quality the better
optional: Ice cream of choice. 🙂
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease an 8 x 8 baking dish
- Place the plums along the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the remaining 3/4 cup white sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt. Combine with beaten egg and spoon the mixture over the plums.
- Drizzle batter with melted butter.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the topping is brown, about 40 minutes.
- This can be served warm with a scoop of ice cream, or eaten as my son prefers straight out of the fridge! 🙂
Couldn’t be simpler and incredibly delicious. Enjoy!!!!
2 thoughts on “Plum Crisp Delight”
This looks amazing!
Thank you so much!!!! 🙂 🙂